Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2/20 In-Class Work

Appealing to Audience

The situation: you, a 20-year-old sophomore, have recently discovered that you’re pregnant. The father of your child (a guy you dated for a year) dumped you for a Hooters waitress a week ago. After much soul-searching, you decide to keep the baby and pursue your BS degree in nursing. But you know that you’ll need help; you’ll need to write a letter to your audience (listed below) to inform them of your pregnancy and ask for assistance.

 

Your audience: Your Mama

 

Pathos:

Why would your mother be resistant to assist you or welcome this news?

 She probably would be dissapointed to know that I am still in school and would probably fear me not completing my education. She worked very hard for me to get to college for me to do this to her. 

What emotions might you evoke in your letter?

 I will evoke feelings of disappointment, but also feelings of courage and determination. Although I made a bad choice and perhaps too soon, I will be comforting when assuring her that I will still complete my education regardless.

Is there anything your mother values that might incline her to help you?

 My mother highly values unity, foundation of family, and love. I know that she will be supportive even if she does not necessarily agree at that moment. 

 

 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment