- The article written by Nancy Buffington discusses an issue in a theory of feminist pedagogy which is now seen in classrooms. It states that teachers in classrooms used to be seen as "authoritative fathers" but they have come to be viewed as to be "nurturing mothers" towards students. She talks about Bell Hooks opinion about classrooms being nurturing, which to her seems like it is not preparing students for the real-world which is much tougher. Hooks encourages feminist teachers to use that power, but to build a stronger foundation to education to better prepare students for the future by providing risky environments since day one. "Classrooms are a place of conflict and struggle and the real world is even more so," is stated by Buffington so she questions what good nurture will be doing for students when solving real-world problems.
Question 2: How helpful would authoritative instruction be for interfered students?
Question 3: Which other ways could instructors still provide the same nourishing classroom environment and behavior while still preparing students for the real-world problems?
Question 4: Should high school teachers adapt to this type of instruction too?
Question 5: What is the best grade level you could suggest to stop providing nurishing environments?
Quote 1:"The classroom, under this feminist model, becomes a safe environment where everyone feels nurtured and able to speak and write, where conflicts are resolved and everyone remains connected." (Page 2)
Quote 2:"Maternal thinking" can't alter the facts: we are still teachers, and our students are still students. (Page 2-3)
"Quote 3: The teacher may start out as a nurturer, but at some point stands back and gives grades (22).This contradiction can "cause more distress than empowerment" (15);it's neither honest nor fair to pretend that we've given up allour authority. (Page 3)
I have noticed the difference between my high school teachers and my university professors. The difference is very large in the amount of nurture they provide. I remember in high school teachers would be very easy and understanding to students, unlike here at a university where teachers have less tolerance for misbehavior and missing assignments. I think this all has to do with instructors trying to prepare students for their careers and life's since it is a lot closer to students. I think it also has to do with some students because a lot of students go out of state to become more independent and they do not want to be treated like kids anymore. However, I still think it's difficult for a lot of students particularly college freshman's because the transition to this type of learning is very drastically changed from one year to another. I am a freshman myself, and I remember the first semester was really hard for me to adapt to a new environment and a new teaching style.
Mayra,
ReplyDeleteYour summary is a decent draft. However, I am concerned about how awkward the quote sounds toward the end: "Classrooms are a place of conflict and struggle and the real world is even more so," is stated by Buffington so she questions what good nurture will be doing for students when solving real-world problems." Instead, write "Buffington states..."